Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Strengthening the Lifeline

“Simon, Simon, look out!  Satan has asked to sift you like wheat.  But I have prayed for you THAT YOUR FAITH MAY NOT FAIL.  And you, when you have turned back, strengthen the brothers (vv. 31-32).”  Beth Moore  Jesus  (My emphasis in Luke 22:31-32.)

Notice what Jesus said, “But I have prayed for you THAT YOUR FAITH MAY NOT FAIL.”  Jesus didn’t pray that Peter himself would not fail (stay true to God), but prayed that his faith would stay strong.  Satan was going to sift Peter, and Peter would fail.  Jesus knew this fact, but didn’t want Peter to fall completely away from God.  Thus, Christ Jesus sought to strengthen Peter’s lifeline to God.  And, it would work; Peter would become a rock that the church was built upon (Matt. 16:18)!

Kenny

P.S.  “I do not doubt that Christ’s face was painted with pain when His and Peter’s eyes met in the courtyard, but I think the conspicuous absence of condemnation tore through Peter’s heart.  I wonder if Christ’s fixed gaze might have said something like this:  ‘Remember, Peter, I am the Christ.  You know that and I know that.  I called you.  I gave you a new name.  I invited you to follow Me.  Don’t forget who I am.  Don’t forget what you are capable of doing.  And, whatever you do, don’t let this destroy you.  When you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”  Beth Moore  Jesus

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home