Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Oh, the Arrows

“For the arrows of the Almighty are in me; my spirit drinks their poison; the terrors of God are arrayed against me.”  Job 6:4

Flesh is pierced by the sharp heads of arrows.  I’ve seen men’s flesh pierced and the bodies of animals as well (all thanks to TV, mind you!).  The corporeal body is what suffers the pain of the arrow.  Job is NOT talking about such things.  “my spirit drinks in their poison;”  Job says that “the arrows of the Almighty” have pierced him, but it is his soul that drinks the poison.  Does this not have the sound of the ethereal (spiritual)?  God Almighty was Job’s primary concern; his eyes were always on the spiritual aspect of life.  I believe this to be true by God’s own mouth.  “And the LORD said to Satan, ‘Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?’"  Job 1:8  Spiritual warfare is going on against Job, BUT God’s goodness and righteousness is never called into question (Job 6:8-10)!

Isn’t it amazing…the fortitude of Job?  I have often wondered whether I would have such fortitude in the face of similar circumstances.  Job had a motto though…nay, a way of life that is summed up in Matthew 10:28:  “’And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.  Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.’” 

kenny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home