Wednesday, April 27, 2011

God is Unfair

“Remember those words from Isaiah’s pen as he repeats God’s message?

‘For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,’ declares the LORD.  ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.’  (Is. 55:8-9)

Look carefully at the contrasts.  There is a vast difference between “My thoughts” and “your thoughts” says the Lord.  “My ways” are not like “your ways.”  They are higher; they are far more profound, deep, mysterious—and I would add, surprising.

Our human ways are based on what seems fair.  We firmly believe that when someone does what is right, rewards and blessings result.  When someone does what is wrong, there are serious consequences, even punishment.  But that’s our way, not necessarily God’s way.  At least not immediately.  He’s been known to allow unfair treatment to occur in the lives of absolutely innocent folks—for reasons far more profound and deep than they or we could have ever imagined.  How slowly He steps in!”  Charles R. Swindoll

Could it be that our God is unfair?  I believe so.  The above quote is from a devotion about Joseph.  One of the most “unfairly” treated guys in the Bible.  You and I would be hard pressed to find some glaring sin that caused him to get sold into slavery and then thrown into prison.  We won’t because of the purpose behind Joseph’s woes.  “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today.”  Genesis 50:20  God meant those “unfair” circumstances for the salvation of a nation.  The Egyptians and Israelites would be saved by Joseph’s savvy.  This is a very awesome story.  Why bring it up?

I get totally bent out of shape ALL the time due to what I deem as UNFAIR!  This devotion by Swindoll struck me.  God is unfair.  Evil?  By no means.  Unfair?  Yep!  You could say that Job was treated unfairly, yet his character (God’s character) shown through like pure gold amidst Satan’s persecutions.  I have the uncanny ability to get entirely too wrapped up in circumstances.  Fair or unfair, it doesn’t matter.  God is good, and THAT is what matters.  The purpose of the circumstances are for God to know.  I need to trust in Him.  I lose trust in Him when I focus on unfairness.  May I be more sensitive to You, O Lord!

Kenny

P.S.  “The word ‘burden’ is described in my Bible commentary as being ‘what Jehovah has given you.’  The saints’ burdens are God-given, leading us to wait upon Him.  And once we have done so, the burden is transferred into a pair of wings through the miracle of trust, and the one who was weighted down ‘will soar on wings like eagles’ (Isa. 40:31).”  L.B. Cowman  Streams in the Desert

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home